MORGANTOWN – Prior to the announcement that Fairmont Regional Medical Center would be ceasing operations, owner Alecto rejected alternatives proposed by Mon Health to shutting down the hospital.
“We reviewed options and offered alternatives to the owners of Fairmont Regional Medical Center. They were not accepted,” Mon Health President and CEO David Goldberg said in a statement to WAJR News.
Alecto announced on Tuesday that after unsuccessfully searching for a strategic partner or buyer over the last year, the hospital would be closing, leaving more than 600 employees without jobs. Alecto purchased Fairmont Regional Medical Center June 2014 for $15.3 million after the hospital went into bankruptcy.
In September, 2019, the hospital laid off 25 employees as part of efforts to adjust cost structure for reduced patient volumes. Hospital officials said at the time there were no plans to close the hospital.
“As for staff and clinicians, as a strong believer in community hospitals, our goal is to help the citizens of Fairmont maintain services close to home,” Goldberg stated.
Mon Health is holding an open interview eent in Fairmont at the Knights of Columbus on Monday. Representatives from Mon Health Medical Center, Preston Memorial Hospital and Stonewall Jackson Memorial Hospital will be on hand from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. to interview candidates for positions across the system from wait staff and nutrition services to LPNs, RNs, and more.
More information is available at monhealth.com/careers