U.S. Marshal releases more details in arrest of suspect accused in fatal DUI crash involving WVU student

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – After 18-months on the run U.S. Marshals captured Aaron Sims, the man accused of driving the car that struck an Uber on eastbound I-676 in Philadelphia in January of 2020 killing WVU student Chloe Robertson and seriously injured her friend Bobbiann Gubbei.

The 27-year-old has been arraigned on 15 charges, including drunk driving homicide, and involuntary manslaughter. Bail was set at $2.2 million.

Robert Clark, Supervisory Deputy U.S. Marshal Eastern District of Pennsylvania took the case after seeing a report on a local news station. Within days, Sims was taken into custody in West Philadelphia after getting a tip he might be visiting a friend.

“It was a collaboration of information we knew, just good old fashioned police work,” Clark said,” We were able to put him down in an area in West Philadelphia and take him into custody without incident.”

While conducting surveillance where they thought Sims might be and observed him enter a maroon Mercury Marquis in the 4100 block of Chestnut Street.

“After following him for a short amount of time and after having enough vehicles we conducted a vehicle stop,” Clark said,” He was not the driver of that vehicle. He was the passenger. The driver pulled over and Mr. Sims was arrested without incident.”

In addition to being pursued by state police, Sims had been featured by Crime Watch Pennsylvania over the 18-month period he was on the lam.

“We are ecstatic we were able to get Aaron Sims in custody. I think his bail was set at $2.2 million, so he’s not going anywhere,” Clark said.

These specialized units have one purpose- to use sustained, proactive, coordinated investigations to track down very dangerous criminals nationwide.

“This is what we do, we go after violent crime fugitives 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week, 365-days-a-year,” Clark said,” It’s something I felt we needed to get involved in and we were able get the cases delegated to the U.S. Marshals Service and Violent Crime Task Force.”

Clark was able to contact the Robertson family after the arrest prior to the information being released to the public. The Robertson expressed gratitude and is now focused on the legal process.

“I wish we would have gotten involved sooner because we have the tools and we have the investigators and we’re pretty good at what we do,” Clark said,” If we would have gotten involved sooner maybe they would have had closure faster.”

Sims is scheduled for a preliminary hearing is scheduled for July 13.