Clarksburg shooting suspect convicted of selling heroin in Harrison County in 2015

CLARKSBURG, W.Va. – Clarksburg city councilman Jim Malgregot remains in Ruby Memorial Hospital recovering from a gunshot wound suffered in an alleged weekend carjacking, but mayor Ryan Kennedy says his condition is improving.

“He’s been upgraded from critical to serious condition which is obviously a step in the right direction, but there are many more steps to full recovery,”Kennedy said on MetroNews Talkline,”But, we’re very glad it seems to be heading in the right direction.

Clarksburg police were able to quickly apprehend Antonio Dejesus after he took Malfregot’s car with his wife and mother-in-law in it Sunday. Malfregot was shot once in the abdomen during a brief struggle outside Malfregot’s hme where the car was parked.

Records indicate Dejesus pleaded guilty to dealing heroin in 2014 in the Clarksburg U.S. District Court and was sentenced to 46 months in prison in 2015.

“Following his term of incarceration he was released to supervised release,”supervisory deputy U.S. Marshal, Terry Moore said,”That case was transferred to the District of Delaware where he was from.”

According to Moore, Dejesus violated terms of the supervised release and ordered back to jail for about 30-days in July of 2020 and was released in August.

“He was released back on supervision in the district of Delaware and he should have been in that district,”Moore said,”He didn’t have permission to be the North Central District of West Virginia.”

Again, Dejesus failed to comply with the terms of his supervised release.

“An additional warrant for his arrest was issued on September 11, two days prior to the shooting incident,”Moore said.

Mayor Ryan Kennedy is thankful police were able to track Dejesus down at the Black Bear Express off the Saltwell exit off I-79 within minutes of the shooting.

“Hats off to all the law enforcement that were involved, both on the county and city level,”Kennedy said,”One person being wounded is a terrible thing to happen, nobody died and the two passengers, his wife and mother-in-law were both unharmed.”